In June, I was privileged to assist my friends and colleagues, Dan Apple, Joyce Adams, and Ingrid Ulbrich to facilitate a Learning to Learn Recovery Camp at Hinds Community College in Jackson Mississippi. We used the Process Education learning to learn curriculum (see Pacific Crest’s website) and it was a transformative experience for me and for the students.
What’s a recovery course? These students were academically dismissed from Hinds CC and a condition of their re-entry was a B or better in the recovery course that teaches them the following:
- Performing Like a Star
- Becoming a Master Learner
- Your Past Doesn’t Define Your Future
- Self-Assessment: The Engine of Self-Growth
- Time, Planning, and Productivity
- Methodologies: Unlocking Process Knowledge
- Visioning Your Future
- Performing in Teams and within a Community
- Performing when Being Evaluated
- Reading for Learning
- Metacognition: Thinking about My Thinking
- Using Failure as a Stepping Stone for Success
- Choosing and Using Mentors Effectively
- My Turn to Shine
- Shifting from Extrinsic to Intrinsic Motivation
This course is now online and titled The Psychology of Learning and Success.
The time management piece, #5, is available as a free course at my student-focused website: head4knowledge.com . Check out the blog posts, too!
The Graduating Class of the June 2017 Hinds Community College Recovery Course